Saturday, August 22, 2009

Well, I have survived. My first full week of work is at an end and I am wiling away the hours of my Saturday with chores, little projects, and writing stuff I haven’t figured out how to get done during the week yet. All in all, it’s been a good week.

My training sessions were on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Thankfully they are not over yet for there a lot of things I don’t yet know how to do (like the all important Medicare billing). But I am getting pretty comfortable with inserting new patients into the data base, checking the status of the patients in the Medicare system, compiling the first Medicare form and – of course – organizing. I can see the bottom of my desk, I know where things are I might need frequently, and the administrator for the home health aid and I have finished sorting half of the old patient charts so they can actually be found.
I think I have met all the nurses and the aids. And I have learned more about getting old and dying than I care to know. I never wanted to live to be a hundred, but now I really hope I die young.

Texas has not changed. We did get a surprise rain shower early Friday morning. That’s very odd here, but the state always needs rain. I walked out the door Friday morning to clouds, a wet driveway, and a gloriously cool breeze. Of course, that lasted all of an hour. When I went jogging that evening, I came back hot and sweaty as always.

My grandfather and I are adjusting to living together. And now I know I never want to be a working mother. How do those women work all day long and then come home to take care of a family? I don’t care how “wonder woman” you are: something has got to be falling in the cracks.

But all in all, it hasn’t been a bad week. Some parts of it have been profitable. Other parts I feel are lacking and I need to adjust. I can’t say I’ve been homesick exactly – I haven’t had time. In fact, I’ve hardly had time to think about more than all the stuff I’ve crammed into my head this week. Which may be why this post is a little disjointed. But we’re working on that. In a few more weeks, I’m sure everything will fall into its proper place: work, writing, times with friends, church.

At least, I hope so…

No comments:

Post a Comment