Saturday, August 29, 2009

Well, the week started off with an explosion. Okay, not exactly. Work was more like a three- ring circus in which I was attempting to swing on the trapeze, walk a tightrope and do a clown act – simultaneously. As I am sitting here typing this now, you will know that I somehow managed to survive.

I started tennis lessons this week. I have them on Mondays and Wednesday evenings. I am in a class of about six people. It’s a lot of fun. I really enjoy it after a day in the office. And I can keep up as well as learn a lot.

Tuesday evening my grandfather called me on the way home from work. He asked if I would need to use the microwave to make dinner that evening. I said I didn’t think so, and he said that was good because it broke on him that afternoon. And so began the 36-hour crisis of not having a microwave. For the next morning I was sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast and answering e-mails when I hear Grandpa from the cabinet cry out, “Oh, no!” I glanced over and saw him standing before the toaster. I thought, “Oh, great, now the toaster has broken too – what is Grandpa going to do?” Well, thankfully, it wasn’t the toaster. Grandpa was just trying to figure out how he was going to warm his spam and his coffee that morning without a microwave. Not to worry, though. He went and bought a microwave that afternoon. I picked it up on my way to tennis and installed it that night.

I visited a very nice church on Sunday. A little distant, but I liked it. It’s hard to explain how difficult it is to visit a church all by yourself. Or have such a decision weighing on your mind alone. It’s enough to make me not really care as long as I can slip in and slip out without being noticed – which goes against everything I believe about the Church of God. But why is it that a church can have everything but one detail? And is that detail important or not? (In this case, the version of the Bible used – not that they use the book of Mormon or anything. They use ESV while I’ve always been used to using KJV.) And so do I visit another church? Finding a church in Texas is overwhelming. You should try googling “Churches in Denton, TX”. You get over a hundred hits…

Why is it so often promotions seem like demotions? It seems I’m a quick learner – and I work fast. I already knew the latter, and I guess I knew the former but I don’t think much about it. After all, I can do office work in my sleep. Some people might think that a gift – I think it will become monotonous within six months or less. (Except the constant wrestling with insurance companies which isn’t monotonous, just plain frustrating!!!!) But as of Friday, I am officially the office manager and my training period is more-or-less over. Which means if billing is successful this coming week, I also get a raise. Not bad for two weeks of work.

And with all this, writing has taken a back seat for a while. At least, writing in the sense of actually putting words on paper. In my mind, I am always writing some something. But I may have a lead on a writer’s group or two. I intend to complete the notes on the new book I want to write today with the goal of writing one chapter a week. And I bought post-it notes. You may wonder what kind of accomplishment that is but if you visit me anytime during the next four or five months and glance into my bedroom, you’ll understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment