Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Job Description

An office manager's work is never done...I've worked in many offices. I've done many different things in those offices. But one thing is certain: an office manager's job is diverse - full of things that don't fall under the job description your employer gives you. Like wedding invitations.

My boss's second daughter is getting married in February. Everything is running in that direction, and although it seems like mass chaos most of the time, you can see things falling into place. And once the invitations are off my desk, I think everyone will feel a lot better. But that will take til at least the end of the week.

You know there are great advantages to being nearly 30 and single - or maybe they're disadvantages. Like the ability to drop everything within a half hour notice and dash off to help my friend Jenny get a bridal shower ready for her sister on Saturday. Or the fact that after helping with this wedding and shower, I know more and more what I DO NOT want for my wedding. I don't want wedding invitations that are layered with ribbons. Nor do I want them a dark silver color which I think is a little drab. I have never wanted a big wedding that costs a lot of money, so I may just allot what I'm allowed on someone else printing the invitations instead of me wrestling with the computer/printer. Nor do I want a big shower full of decorations. I also don't want my fiance having to have a say in everything. (I didn't think they did that, but this one does and its a pain.) Nor do I want an engagement that's all of three months long, but then I don't plan on having a "shotgun" wedding like this one.

And so my desk is full of patient records, medicare billing, insurance headaches, and wedding invitations. Doesn't exactly go with the "decor". And while it has been a pain, once the computer and printer decided to co-operate, the change in pace has been fun. Who knows what next week will hold...

1 comment:

  1. hehe that sounds interesting! still looking for a job here (well, a 'real' job)

    thanks for being my first 'follower'!!!!!! i got really excited. this way we can stay in touch better :)

    ReplyDelete