Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Into the World of Fantasy

As a big sister and a tutor of two teenage boys, I try to keep up a little with the world of Christian fantasy fiction – although it is not my favorite genre. However, I truly believe author Chuck Black is a brilliant writer, tying in the truths of our lives as Christian warriors with the stories of the Kingdom of Arrethae. Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue is no exception. A tale of great heroics not only on the battlefield but in the heart and soul make for an exciting and thought-provoking read. “Tween” girls will especially enjoy it for Lady Carliss is a brave heroine.


If you like tales of worlds that are full of strange creatures, mysterious histories, heroes and devils – then you will enjoy Jeffrey Overstreet’s Raven’s Ladder. Although the author can spin a wonderful tale, I found it very difficult to follow. I could not understand what the hero was truly seeking, there was very little description of the strange creatures of the land, and the dialogue often confused me. The tale is more for adults that teens. (Warning: The book does not stand alone. I haven't read the first two in the series - or have an inclination to - but I hope they make this story more complete.)


Interested? Find these two books here:

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400074679



http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781601421272


These books were provided by Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment