Friday, March 5, 2010

For the LORD thy God hath blessed thee in all the works of thy hand: he knoweth thy walking through this great wilderness: these forty years the LORD thy God hath been with thee; thou hast lacked nothing. Deuteronomy 2:7


We all go through wilderness experiences. We walk through valleys. We walk through deserts. Deserts are the worst. At least in a valley there is grass and water. In a desert there is neither.


Growing up I always had the impression the Israelites spent forty years going in circles through something that resembled the pictures I’ve seen of the Sahara. Sand, sand and sand. Probably a little extreme, but the wandering Israelites surely felt like they lived in a desert. You don’t have to read far into the account to hear their griping.

We all like to think we wouldn’t complain as bad as they, but look at your wilderness moments. Did you get through those complain-free? I haven’t – not ten years ago, not now. And I haven’t even lived for forty years.


The last fifteen months of my life have been a wilderness journey for me. In the plains of Indiana and Texas, I might as well have been in some flat desert. And my journey hasn’t been made much easier since I tasted New Hampshire last week and have been left homesick. Perhaps that is why Deuteronomy 2:7 meant so much to me when I read it this morning.


“See, Melissa?” that quiet voice spoke to my heart. “I know you are walking through a wilderness. I’ve been with you through it all. I will be with you for as long as it continues. You will lack nothing you need. And I will bless you. Just trust Me.”


Lord, I believe; help Thou my unbelief.

1 comment: