Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dear Sally,

Today is your 23rd birthday. It’s rather hard to believe the little baby that “ruined” my 8th birthday is now three years into her twenties. Or maybe it’s hard to believe I can remember 23 years ago so clearly. But it was very hard to decide on just one friend to invite to my 8th birthday party and all because there was a new infant in the house. To put it bluntly, you ruined my style.

But then, our styles have never been similar. Whereas you come at the world fighting and ordering it to be as you would like, I usually try to forget it exists outside the circle God has given me. I’ve learned in my nearly 31 years that you can’t even order that as you would wish, so why struggle to try? And I don’t much care for conflict, so why punch and hit at everything I don’t like? By no means should you ever give up your standards and the higher calling God has called you to, but mercy and forgiveness are also a part of life – although very difficult at times.

You have seen a lot of things in your 23 years – things I have certainly never seen or had to contend with. I don’t envy you some of those lessons, but then I wouldn’t want you to have to go through some of the trials I have suffered. For you are my little sister and I love you dearly, no matter what problems we have had in our relationship. Perhaps that is the major problem: I don’t want you to make the same mistakes or endure the pain I have had. Yet you seem to sometimes run in that direction.

Today there are a million things I would like to tell you. Wise things, I hope. Things the Lord has taught me. For you have already learned that being 23 won’t be easy. You’ll see your friends marry while you sit and wait without a male soul in sight. You’ll wonder why God seems to have such great plans for others while you order about kitchen staff at Chick-fil-a. What’s wrong with you that you’re missing out? Did you make a wrong turn? Is your faith too small? Will you ever see your heart’s desires fulfilled?

I hope if I say this, you’ll listen. But you probably won’t. You’re hard-headed, anyway, but I didn’t listen to such things when I was 23 either. But here it goes anyhow: you’ve got to wait. There’s nothing wrong with you. You’re not missing out on anything – not really. In God’s sovereign plan for you and you alone, you haven’t taken any wrong turns. Keep the faith. God knows your desires better than you know them. And when the time is right, you will be blown away at what He will do. Take it from someone who knows. Someone who didn’t plan for any of the things that have happened in the last two years – two months – of her life. Amazing things. Astounding things. And (which can be quite scary), it just seems to get better and better.

I know it’s not easy. It’s not always easy for me now. It won’t be easy for either of us tomorrow. But TRUST YOUR GOD. He is unchanging. He is faithful. He loves you. Be still and know Him. And then watch what wonderful things He does just for you.

Love, Melissa

Little Sally turning 2.


Sally at 22…and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment