Thursday, February 17, 2011

Random Thoughts to Round Off my Week

Well, today is my last day of work for the week. Hence, I am blogging now because I probably will not be anywhere near the internet again until Monday. Four day work weeks - love them!

My sister Sally arrives today. Grandpa is picking her up at the airport, probably before I finish typing this blog. He'll drop her off at my house at some point where I will see her when I arrive home from work this evening. Which is the reason for the four day work week. Tomorrow, she and I will find something to fill our hours. First, we'll try to start a run on a bank if they don't co-operate and close her accounts. Then we'll probably wile away some hours at a bookstore. After that, who knows. But around 5 we're meeting Haley for dinner to celebrate our birthdays: Sally's last Tuesday, Haley's tomorrow and mine on Monday. Haley is buying my dinner, and Sally is buying Haley's dinner, and I am buying Sally's dinner. Or maybe it's Sally is buying my dinner, I am buying Haley's dinner and Haley is buying Sally's dinner. We'll figure it out enough to confuse the waiter.

On Saturday, Sally, a friend and I are headed to the Fort Worth Zoo for the day. I cannot remember the last time I went to a zoo. Probably the last time I lived in Texas. We're all really looking forward to it and the weather should be very pleasant for such a day. And Sunday evening, we will finish off our weekend with more friends, good food and games. Sadly it all ends about 4 o'clock Monday morning when I have to get up to take Sally to the airport, followed by back to the office. Great way to start the 31st year of one's life!

I'm glad for the activity. For yesterday my life resembled a soap opera. Mountaintop, to valley, to mountaintop - drama, drama, drama. Thankfully, though, life is not a daytime television show full of fake characters and ridiculous scenarios. My life is beautifully orchestrated by my Heavenly Father. The same Heavenly Father who over the past months has taught me how very much He loves me. In fact, He loves me so much I cannot contain it. And this week has been more proof of that. Even in the midst of some hard blows, God's love shines forth. And how doubly blessed am I as He has placed people in my life who love me. For example:

On Tuesday I was standing at the counter in the office stuffing envelopes. A woman walked in from the Edible company with a fruit bouquet. I thought it was for Charlene, the new Home Health nurse, for not only was the day before Valentine's for her but it was also her 23rd wedding anniversary. Imagine my surprise when the lady said, "I'm looking for Melissa."

"Um...I'm Melissa," I said.

"Then these are for you."

Stunned, I signed for the bouquet and then opened the attached card. It was from my siblings in Indiana. Yes, I cried. For who am I to deserve such love? And yet my God so graciously gives it - each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment