Saturday, June 11, 2011

Down on the Farm



This week Haley has been gone, housesitting at a place like no where I've ever housesat before. I've done all kinds of housesitting with many kinds of animals: cats, bloodhounds, dachsunds. But not camels, zebras and buffalo. Yes, you heard me right. I said camels, zebras and buffalo.


Plus I'm not sure how many cats (at least a dozen - probably more), six dogs, lots of cows, several horses and lamas. No, she's not feeding all of these. But she is enjoying them.


She invited me out, so I arrived on the 180 acre property yesterday evening. I got here later than planned thanks to Friday evening traffic, so I didn't have a chance to explore. (Nor did I have the energy after the work day I just suffered...) So all I did was go for a good swim, learning that a couple of the dogs enjoy swimming also. Thankfully they did not join me in the hot tub! After that, I quickly learned there is nothing to watch on over 300 channels of entertainment. I then stretched out on the couch to read, where I was immediately joined by two or three cats.


Today I tried to kill myself on a 4-wheeler. Just kidding. But I did have loads of fun for nearly an hour riding all over the front pasture with as much speed as I dared. I also explored several other acres of property, disturbed some cows that were not all that thrilled to see me and took lots of pictures. When all was said and done, I decided that if I ever have money I want land and a 4-wheeler. It was so awesome!


So, you're wondering, are there really camels, and zebras, and buffalo? Yes. And it's odd. I told a friend last night I knew they were out here, but it wasn't real until I actually saw them. I go out to the pool and there's a camel. A real camel. (And there are actually three, one of which is pregnant.) And you look off in the distance and there are zebras. Two of them. One even came towards to barn for some hay. The buffalo weren't all that surprising. This is Texas. You see them occasionally. But are those ever massive creatures! The head hanging in the living room has got to weigh as much as I do. And they must have a dozen of the living ones.


I'll post a few pictures below just so you can get an idea of the experience. Sorry I haven't any good ones of the zebras. I'm waiting and watching to see if they come closer to the house today to get a picture or two before I leave. But you'll get to see one of the camels!



The house. It sits off about a half mile into the property down a gravel road.



The larger pond (which will show how dry it is in Texas) is in the front part of the property.





The 4-wheeler. Way cool!



One of the camels, which I fed and pet.

1 comment:

  1. We have camels here [well we don't own them, but there is someone who does near us]. Apparently Australia has more camels than the middle east does - how about that!!

    ReplyDelete