Friday, June 24, 2011

New Hampshire!!!!

Where do I even begin about my trip to New Hampshire? The beauty? Funny how even the simplicity of green grass can be beautiful, for somehow Texas brown just doesn’t do anything for the senses. Not to mention the woodlands, the rolling hills, the old houses, the breathtaking blue of the sky, cool breezes. Why did God bless New England with loveliness and Texas with nothing?

Or how about the people? Allyson and her five WONDERFUL children! I walked into her home Thursday afternoon and she said, “Melissa, it’s like you never left!” And it felt that way in her home as we chatted, and I ran around outside with the kids, and read books until my throat was dry, and made beds, and swept floors and everything Allyson’s life as a wife and mother is so full of. And I tried not to envy her…and cried when I had to leave.

Of course there was the purpose of the entire trip: Charity’s wedding. God gave her and Mason a lovely day for a beautiful, simple outdoor wedding. The reception suited Charity and all her artistic personality perfectly. As Allyson’s little girl Violet told me, “This is so much fun! I want to go to another wedding!” And she was right…even though I joined in with the exhaustion of the rest of my honorary family after dashing around helping with decorations, and fetching mirrors and shoes, and cleaning up and putting away.

And so much more! Ice cream, and dinner with an old friend, and a very surprising and special gift bestowed upon me, and even a trip with Violet to a dollhouse shop! As I flew in, I felt I had come home. I know that geography. I know the winding roads. I find rest in the slowness of it, compared to the break-necking speed in which Texans live their lives. I didn’t want to return to 100 degree temperatures or the four walls of an office piled high with papers and a computer that demands my every waking moment. And yet, despite the fact that New Hampshire will ever be home, changes have come. Some ties have disappeared. Others will ever pull strong. As for Texas…well, I had to return. For one reason. And that’s just the way my life is – the life God has blessed me with. Truly.

A lovely New England brook.


Just one of the homes I would love to live in…


Charity and Mason’s wedding.


The five most wonderful children in the world: Seth (age 3), Silas (age 1), Violet (age 5), Laurel (2 months) and Caleb (age 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment