Monday, July 18, 2011

Charming Billy

For the past year or so, there is something I have wanted to try to do. No, not bungee jump. Or skydive. Or deep sea fishing. I'm afraid I shall never be that adventurous. I just wanted to make a fresh cherry pie.

Last week I went to the grocery store. While shopping around the produce area, sticking to my list but looking at what was on sale to add some good things to my being-single diet, I saw cherries. I haven't had them all year and they will soon be out of season, so I picked some up. On the way home, I decided there was enough to make a pie and nibble on a few in the process. So, on Friday night, I set up shop in our to-die-for kitchen.

"What are you doing?" Haley asked as she scurried around searching for something for her being-single evening meal.

"A fresh cherry pie," I said. "I always wanted to try making one."

"Really?" Silence for a while. Then: "Is it for anything special?"

"No," I shrugged. "I just have the cherries and I have the time."

"Then could I try a slice?" Haley hinted.

I laughed. "You can have more than one," I promised.

"Great!" And off she went with her dinner to watch a murder mystery in the living room. A moment later, she calls out. "You know, Melissa, you remind me of that song."

"What song?" I asked as my mind searched my library of tunes stored for random playing.

"You know. Can you bake a cherry pie, Billy Boy, Billy Boy? Can you bake a cherry pie, Charming Billy?" Haley sang.

I guess the answer to that question is yes (even if my name isn't "Billy"). For we tried small slivers that night at about 9:30 after it came out of the oven. Delicious! So much so, we had larger slices the next night - this time topped with vanilla ice cream. I shared more of it yesterday when I went over the my assistant pastor's house for lunch after church. And there is still one slice left, which Haley and I will have to split. Unless one of you would like to stop by. Then we'll be glad to share - three ways...

Success!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Looks fantastic! For teh record though, I think the song goes.

    Billy Boy, Billy Boy?
    Can she make a cherry pie,
    Charming Billy?
    She can make a cherry pie,
    Quick as a cat can wink an eye,
    She's a young thing
    And cannot leave her mother.

    How old is she,
    Billy Boy, Billy Boy?
    How old is she,
    Charming Billy?
    Three times six and four times seven,
    Twenty-eight and eleven,
    She's a young thing
    And cannot leave her mother.[1]

    I think you'd better watch out for Billy :)

    ReplyDelete