Monday, July 25, 2011

Dear Dad,

Today is your…well, we won’t tell the public your age. :) And it’s funny, but just yesterday I was remembering some of the things my daddy use to do with me. Because, you know, you were quite young when I was a little girl…younger than I am today.

How many times did I ride around the house on your back? Or did we wrestle on the floor, you teaching me I had to pin down your shoulders and count to three before I could raise my hands in victory and proclaim, “I’m the winner!” You shared your M&M’s with me (well, sort of…), taught me to roll grapes down the table and catch them in my mouth, and how to ball up my napkin and shoot it into the trashcan after dinner. And I should probably cut this list of all-important-life-lessons short…

Of course, you have also taught me many other things. Like how to play checkers (and I did beat you once!), how to cast a fishing line, how to blow bubbles with my gum and how to throw a softball (even if I do throw like a girl). Of course, you did wander amiss now and then – I didn’t know how to weed-eat a yard until after I left home, but I forgive you. Of course most importantly, you taught me about my God. You read Bible stories to me every night before bedtime, helped me memorize Bible verses and answered all my questions. Every Sunday (and most Wednesdays) you took us to church where we learned not only to listen to the preaching of God’s Word but also how to serve those around us. And even though it was hard, you never backed down from what you believe is the Truth.

I’ll never know what it’s like to be a father, but I do know I want my husband to have many of the same qualities. (Not necessarily wiggling his ears and nose, but I won’t complain if he can…) I want him to have fun with his kids, sing crazy songs for them and teach them to throw balls. I also want him to teach them the importance of God’s Word and what God wants for our lives. And, despite all his faults, I want him to be their first hero. Just like you are to me. For even though your role in my life will change in different ways, you will always be MY dad – the first man I ever loved.

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Love, Melissa

Me and my young dad at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment