Monday, July 11, 2011

Rainbows

When I was a little girl, I loved rainbows. I had a Rainbow Bright doll (let me date myself a bit…), loved the My Little Ponies that had rainbow pictures or rainbow colored hair, and if we went to the store and I got to pick out a sticker it was always a rainbow. I even remember a rainbow band-aid I once had. And in science class, rainbows were the one subject I liked to study.

Sadly, today rainbows are used by reprobates to express themselves. But we won’t even go there, for rainbows are a gift from God given to man as a sign of His promise. The first rainbow God hung in the sky for Noah and his family must have been brilliant – red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Seven perfect colors standing out against a brilliant blue sky. God’s promise that He would never again destroy the world with a flood.

And God keeps His promises.

Over the years, I “outgrew” rainbows. I mean as far as putting stickers on my bedroom mirror, and buying My Little Ponies, and studying them in science class (had to move on to biology and physics…). But they still hold a special place in my heart. Especially since moving to Texas. Every time I get really discouraged, God has given me a rainbow. One Sunday evening when I was very upset about something, God hung a rainbow in the sky on my way home from church. At 5:30 one morning when I was out running in the dark in order to beat the summer heat and bemoaning that I have to do that, God sent me a rainbow. I kid you not. I saw a rainbow in the clouds around the full moon – and wished I had a camera. Last night was one of those nights. I wasn’t feeling especially discouraged. But I had a lot on my mind, wrestling with my God over something He’s been trying to get through my thick skull for a week now. It’s one of those things I know – I’m just having trouble putting into practice. But like the gracious Father He is, in spite of my stubbornness, God gave me a rainbow. Just a small one in the midst of a wispy cloud. But it was brilliant – red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. A sign to me.

God keeps His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment