Monday, October 10, 2011

In which the sun does not appear - is there anything more glorious?

Yesterday a miracle occurred in the state of Texas: it rained. Like really rained. Water pouring out the sky. I had to set my windshield wipers up two speeds, hydroplaning on the way to church, a moment when I thought I was going to die thanks to a tidal wave of water washing over my car. But, you see, with earth as dry and cracked as it is down here, a flood is needed for it to soak in anywhere. Which means water just flows everywhere. But that's okay. I think I'd rather meet my Creator having died in a flood than withering up and dying thanks to wickedly hot temperatures.

Some of you are probably thinking I shouldn't shrug at death so easily. Truly, I wasn't in any danger yesterday (as I listened to a sermon on how my times are in God's hands and I won't die until the sovereign time He has already ordained for me). But if I were to die, I know where I'm going: Home. Besides, I've worked in hospice for over two years. Death is a part of life.

Most of you probably can't imagine how glorious rain is. But it's not just that. Do you know what is even more wonderful? No sun. Even now it is dark and cloudy out. It's the most beautiful day I have seen in the past six months. Not a hint of blazing sunshine. Not a light to behold anywhere. It's relaxes my very soul - I kid you not. And I dread the clouds dissipating later today and revealing that ball of brutal light. (To the point of praying the forecast is wrong and we can enjoy one more day of cloudy gloominess.) I just wish this day had been on a Saturday so I could sleep in late, take a nice run and then curl up in a comfy chair with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book. Instead I have to be at work...but I'll work all day if the clouds would only stay and the sun never appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment