Friday, October 7, 2011

It's after 4:30 on a Friday afternoon. I stop to take a breath, pondering what I didn't get done this week and will have to do next week...and realize I haven't blogged!

Not that any of my few readers probably really care if I miss posting twice a week, but you might stop to suppose that "Good, Old Reliable Melissa" has caught the flu or something and so didn't post. But, she hasn't. For "Good, Old Reliable Melissa" doesn't get sick. Nor does she get hurt, no matter how many things she dropped, hit or overflowed yesterday. But sometimes it seems like the world would end if "Good, Old Reliable Melissa" has a frog in her throat (which she did this morning when greeting her boss who immediately said, "Are you all right?"), or didn't call home on Sundays, or didn't text a friend every morning, or couldn't be reached on the phone as soon as it rings at work. And if you don't get the picture, "Good, Old Reliable Melissa" is a bit tired of being good, old and reliable. The only problem is, she couldn't stop being all that if she tried. And now she will get off her soap box and stop talking about herself in third person.

Yes, granted, I'm a bit tired. More tired than I seem, if this morning was any indication. Work has been consistently busy this week. We hit records with 7 (yes, SEVEN) deaths. Plus three admissions. It didn't help that I've played techie all week. (I always knew if I attended public school I'd be labeled "geek".) Everyone got new cell phones this week. You should try setting up ten cell phones, teaching "old" nurses how to text and fixing the problems they have because some button was pushed so now the phone is talking to them, won't ring, or text messages disappear. We probably should have just had an in-service, but I'm not sure "Welcome to the 21st Century: Cell Phones 101" is a Medicare-qualified in-service.

And just to throw a wrench in what I hoped would be a quieter day, I get back from lunch and hear the home health office manager, Linda, call: "Um, Melissa? I think my computer has a virus." It was a bit worse than that. It was a trojan. But over the next hour or more, by God's grace, the computer was fixed. The home health agency is safely in business again, they are now virus protected, and it was suggested I get a weekend at a spa for playing Superman (or would Wonder Woman be more appropriate?).

And now it is 4:48. 12 minutes left of my work week. And will I ever be glad it's over! Not because I have anything thrilling to do this weekend: maybe lunch with a friend, Sunday dinner at our assistant pastor's house (and a round of Hand 'n Foot), wallpapering (the dollhouse), a long run and sleeping a little bit late (I hope!). Of course, my car also needs to be washed. I just remembered I need to make apple dumplings for Sunday. Laundry. Wouldn't hurt to sweep my rooms, update my account keeping, clean off my desk in my room...9 minutes till the weekend begins. And looks like it won't contain a moment's peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment