Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Adding to my Repertoire

It's been one of those weeks where a full time handy man needs to follow me around. I think it was Saturday I flipped on one set of the kitchen lights and a bulb blew. Not just any bulb - a special one. So high up I can't even reach it if I stood on the island. When I told Haley she looked up at it and said, "Mmh...I've never changed one of those." And she's lived there for over 12 years! (Well, okay, her dad probably changed one or two in his time, but they've been gone for nearly 3 years...) Hence we still don't have it changed. Maybe we'll do that when we finally take down the Christmas tree. (And as Haley leaves for Russia on Thursday for almost two weeks who knows when that will be!)

Then Sunday night I flipped on the light in my shower and blew it. Now it might actually be a normal bulb, but you have to unscrew the fixture. Which I haven't done yet although I thought about it last night when I had the screwdriver out (get to that in a minute), but I had just taken a shower and it was wet so I didn't want to climb around in it in my pajamas. (Just in case you're wondering, there is another good light in the shower area so I'm not taking my showers in the dark. Not that I couldn't...although shaving could be hazardous.)

But, all in all, I can change a light bulb. (By myself for those who have a joke come to mind - I'm only partly Polish.) When it came to the broken toilet seat yesterday...well, I've never done that before. Thankfully, though, God made my dad my hero. As a little girl I followed him around when he did repairs on Saturdays hoping he'd offer to let me help. Not usually, but I observed. So, replacing a toilet seat wasn't bad at all. Especially since I have two toilets in my bathroom. (I don't get it either, but I guess it's a modern day version of a two-seater outhouse.) The one toilet I broke several months ago, so I took the seat off it and put it on the one that works but had a broken seat. Then I put the broken seat on the broken toilet. (Now everything matches!) They were screwed on two different ways, but really, replacing a toilet seat isn't difficult at all! I must confess I was quite proud of myself.

There are just so many things you learn in life when you're single and live 500 miles from your dad. To be honest, I don't want to learn them all. And I wish other problems in my life could be fixed as easily. But it's all part of growing up, right? (Boy, do I wish I were about five again...)

No comments:

Post a Comment