Friday, March 14, 2014

They're Back Again!

My life at Camp Lebanon has come full circle. It's Spring Quilt time again! The first group of ladies came in last weekend. I didn't see a lot of them. I did a little bit of registration Friday night, but then I went home. I'm glad I didn't have to work last weekend. I spent most of Saturday sleeping - I almost got through winter without a cold!

But this weekend I will work. Somewhere around 120 women will be here, surrounded by mounds of cloth and sewing machines. They'll talk about colors, and patterns and all their unfinished projects. It's amazing how many of these ladies don't finish what they start. We have quilt samples hanging up every quilt season - more than half of them are not quilted or finished.

This season Jaci, who manages our store, is trying to get some ideas of favorite quilt slogans to put on a shirt in the fall. Some come from themes over the last 25 years that quilt retreats have been going on here at camp. But I came up with my favorite yesterday: "Quilters - they cut corners."

From a registrar point of view, quilt season can be infuriating. Quilters want to come as early as they can, but most of our sessions don't start until Friday afternoon at 4. (Which has never stopped the influx from starting at 2.) But we do offer two sessions that have early bird Thursdays. We have a fee for that which includes dinner Thursday evening and then breakfast and lunch Friday morning. I have to use two hands to count how many quilters want to avoid paying the fee for the early bird but try to slip in for lunch (or breakfast!) on Friday. Really? Do you actually think we're that stupid? Or blind?

I have to say that last weekend's quilt session cleaned up very nicely. Everyone paid their fees! There's nothing like a clean cut to make me feel like I do my job. This weekend won't be half so nice. I can already tell and I haven't even put the money into my database. We had a few slip in early on Thursday that didn't pay for it. Others that came early Friday...more that added last minute things. Trying to balance it all out won't be fun next week.

Oh, well. At least I'm feeling better so I won't suffer as I work this weekend. I might even get some personal things done when they're doing nothing but quilting. And on Monday, I intend to get through a long to-do list in St. Cloud - more wedding stuff! It never ends...

No comments:

Post a Comment