Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Minnesota: From the Perspective of a Nomad, Part 10

In eight weeks, I will be leaving the state of Minnesota. I will have lived here a grand total of fifteen months. Next to Indiana, where I lived for nine months, it sets the record for shortest time spent in one state. There must be something about living in the Midwest that doesn’t quite stick with me.

I have to confess, I don’t find the Midwest very intriguing. I haven’t lived here long enough to explain to anyone what makes the Midwest the Midwest except to say it’s “different”. I attempted an explanation on that a couple of weeks ago and fell short. Except for funny accents, spice aisles in the grocery store that contain next to nothing (bland food is their choice cuisine) and no history, I couldn’t put into words what makes this part of the country odd to me. It’s just not the Northeast. It’s not the South. And, of course, it’s not Texas. But to explain that to the natives up here who have never been to the Northeast, the South (except Florida which doesn’t exactly count) or Texas…well, I can’t. Naturally, they don’t claim to have an accent. They like their bland food. And they become a bit annoyed when I try to explain the rich history of the American Revolution or the War Between the States. Most of their ancestors were still in Europe during the American Revolution and what’s the War Between the States? Oh, the Civil War! Well, of course we’re on Lincoln’s side. After all, he won the war and freed the slaves. They don’t seem to get the irony of that when put up against the history they do have: Indian wars sprung from enslaving them on reservations. A problem Lincoln only compounded.

But in that sense, they’re no more and certainly no less prejudiced to their own ways than Texans who think they live in their own country, New Englanders who are rude to everyone or Southerners who will one day rise again. And in Minnesota, I realized this morning, prejudice also comes in the way of clothing.

I’m afraid that even should I live here ten years, I will never succumb to the one fashion statement they all have hanging in their closets: camouflage. When I went wedding dress shopping, there was a camo wedding gown! (It was mostly white, but trimmed top and bottom with camo.) They wear camo pants, camo jackets, camo hats, camo shirts – men and women! If you can wear it, you can find it in camo. There is even matching underwear!

And they start them young. It was a nicer day out today, so as I went through town this morning I saw a man out with half a dozen preschool aged kids. You couldn’t miss them. Every single one of these two or three-feet-tall little people were dressed in camo coats with either a camo or orange cap on their heads. Very likely, part of their day at preschool is spent learning how to fish and hunt. After all, that is much more important than learning to count or how to say your ABCs.


Truly, I am grateful to have spent a small portion of my life in Minnesota. I’ve met some great people, tasted some new foods, learned a new vernacular and been laughed at for my ways in response to laughing at their ways. But I am glad to get away unscathed. I don’t say “behg”, I still laugh when they say “uff-dah!”, I never purchased a boat, and I don’t own a stitch of camo.

No comments:

Post a Comment