Friday, April 11, 2014

Pigs, Chickens and Sour Cream Raisin Pie

Last night a nearby camp had our staff over for a pig roast. I've been to a pig roast once before, but they have it down to an art! The pig was well roasted and the meat was then marinated in three different ways (chipotle was my favorite). Not only that but they stuffed some chickens with onions, celery and spices. Then they stuffed those chickens into the cavity of the pig and let them roast in there. That was really good chicken!

I would say that most of us (including me) just ate meat last night. Followed by dessert. And there were LOTS of desserts. Including a Minnesota special: Sour Cream Raisin Pie. I saw it listed on a menu when I first moved up here and asked about it, but the person I asked didn't like raisins so she wasn't a fan. She described it as a cream pie of sorts, but it's not. It's got a texture more like a pecan pie. But it's not at all sweet. It's sour. Raisins are mixed in to make it also sweet. I think you can put a meringue on top, but this one had a crumble top. Since I'm about to leave Minnesota, I thought I should say I at least tried it. So, I took a small slice. And ate about two bites. Let's just say I'm also not a fan.

As our chef Jim said, "This is a great meal. All that wonderful meat. Followed by all that wonderful dessert. Can't beat that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment