Friday, March 13, 2015

A List of Books

I’m not sure how I found it, but I recently got from the library a book entitled A Lifetime of Fiction: The 500 Most Recommended Reads for Ages 2 to 102 by William P. Martin. A whole book of lists of books. What could be better than that, right?

Of course, a book like this is obviously subjective. Everyone in the world (who has read more than 500 books) could suggest a list of their most recommended reads. Mr. Martin uses best seller lists, parent recommendations and other ways of screening to come up with these 500 books. So while not based on his personal opinion (I’m not even sure if he has read all 500 of these books), the compilation of titles is based upon the suggestions of many others. And I don’t know about you, but I’d only feel comfortable reading about 10% of the New York Times Bestseller list (if that!).

The book is separated into five different categories: Preschoolers (ages 2-4), Early Readers (ages 5-8), Middle Readers (ages 9-12), Young Adults (ages 13-17) and Adults (ages 18-102). Each category contains a list of 100 books. And it has been fascinating to see how many of them I have read:

            Preschoolers: 35 books
            Early Readers: 40 books
            Middle Readers: 49 books
            Young Adults: 24 books
            Adults:            2 books
            Grand Total: 150 books (or 30% of the 500 suggested)

I guess 30% isn’t bad. Since I’m an avid reader, it may even be above average. As you can see, I tend towards the younger books. That’s not surprising. But I think these categories are a little broad. I find it hard to place Little House on the Prairie next to The Ox Cart Man as “Early Readers”. They don’t seem like they belong in the same category, but apparently they both make the cut with Green Eggs and Ham which every preschooler in the United States can quote. Yet that is also an “Early Reader”.

My adult reading is apparently quite lacking, but let’s clarify something on that point. The two books I have actually read from the list are Anna Karenina and Rebecca (which I read as a teenager, so again, the lines can be a little grey between the categories). But absent from the adult list are any books by Charles Dickens, or Shakespeare, or Jeff Shaara, or Janette Oke, or Charles Todd. I have to admit I’m relieved that Shades of Gray didn’t make the list either, but that list especially seemed lacking of anything I would put on an adult list.

Which brings up the question I often think upon as I peruse this book: what would I put on such a list? Could I even come up with 500 fiction books I would suggest you HAVE to read before you die? Probably not. As King Solomon said in Ecclesiastes, “…of making many books there is no end…” And for me, reading is relaxing and enjoyable. For others, it’s a chore. So while I certainly think everyone should read Pride and Prejudice, you’re okay if you don’t. But just know you’re missing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment