Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Weekend

Well, Ed says our home looks like Christmas has arrived again. Although, I think he’s happy this version of Christmas doesn’t mean pine needles on the floor. It just means lots of pastel colored gift bags all over our dining room floor. Full of things for the baby!

The ladies at church blessed me this weekend with a Baby Prayer Shower. It was such a wonderful thing to spend a few hours with the women and a few of their daughters, being prayed for, hearing tons of baby stories, eating wonderful food and opening lots of gifts! Sheets, and mattress pads, and onesies, and enough soap, shampoo and diaper rash cream to clean five babies. Not that I don’t want the cleanest baby in Pittsburgh, but I might return some of that!

Personally, I think the best gift of all was the bathtub. And the baby has a rubber ducky as well. The ducky is supposed to tell you if the bath water is too hot. I’m not sure if it changes color and squawks or what. I just know that, according to the older women at the shower, it will be most handy for Ed. They say husbands always run the water too hot. I have a feeling in our house it may be the opposite. I’m afraid I’m the one that likes the really hot showers!

According to Ed the best gift of all is the Sock Monkey. I’m not sure if he was putting clothes in the laundry basket or visiting it in the baby’s room last night. He’s more than a little psyched that the baby has his own Sock Monkey sitting proudly in the crib awaiting the new arrival.

Best of all, though, is how blessed we are that so many have given generously to our new little one. My list of things I need to get is considerably shorter now than it was last week. This weekend we’ll purchase the car seat and changing table/dresser. By the end of next week, I hope to have the baby’s room nearly done! Good thing, too, since the weeks are rolling by.

So, yes, life is getting to be more and more about the baby. But we do other things, too. Sunday evening our church had a chili cook-off before the quarterly business meeting. I won second prize for my white chicken chili. I’d have to say Ed should have won first prize for best performance. Time spent in Texas made him a pro on how to properly judge a chili cook-off. He tried every single chili, lining his little Dixie cups up in order of what he liked most to least. I think he was the only one there who tried ALL of them!

And, naturally, there are always bumps in the road. Like Ed’s truck not starting on Saturday afternoon. We already know we have to throw money at it this month to keep get it inspected for another year. It just looked like we were going to have to tow it to the shop on top of that. Not to mention trying to arrange a schedule around one vehicle when our work hours aren’t similar at all. I just prayed it would start. And it did. He tweaked something Sunday afternoon and it revved up. Now, at least, we can drive it to the shop to throw money at it when we don’t need two vehicles.

And then I wandered into the bathroom Saturday evening (which I do more and more often these days), happened to look up above our shower and discovered a large wet spot in the corner. Lovely. So, after texting the couple upstairs to make sure nothing had overflowed, we took pictures and sent them to the landlord so he could come and see what the leak had done. I have to say it is nice not to have to handle it ourselves, but we’ll still have to be around when the workman comes to repair it.  

Life just gets fuller and fuller…and I should expect that. I mean, it is only six weeks until this baby arrives!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment