Thursday, March 5, 2015

Reality Sets In

There is a crib set up in our spare bedroom.

I can see it when I’m sitting in my own bed.

I can also see it whenever I walk from the kitchen to the living room.

And it’s hard to believe.

Anyone who knows me knows I’m a planner. I try not to leave anything to chance, although what are the chances of that? So, yes, I intend to have everything in place when the baby arrives. And, so, I have been working towards that. Making all kinds of decisions. Buying things here and there. Checking off my list. Getting as ready as I can to be a mother.

I mean, it can’t be ignored. I feel as large as a whale some days. I certainly can’t touch my toes anymore – I can barely see them. Tying my shoelaces is more exercise than I ever thought possible. And this baby is like his mother: cardio exercise is much more fun than yoga will ever be. But while “peanut” is jumping rope in my womb, my energy level is decreasing. Or at least my endurance is much shorter.

Ed and I have a certificate proving we completed pre-natal classes at the hospital where the baby will be born. For some reason, I don’t think this means we will be expert parents, but they give us certificates anyhow. I can’t say I learned anything “new” about labor and delivery or how to take care of an infant, but it was interesting to see the floor we’ll be on and learn how things are done now. Ed’s observation when the class ended: “I think we were the oldest parents in there.” You think? The guy in front us barely looked 20. Meanwhile, we’ll be in our forties and fifties when this kid is in elementary school.

My work has been gracious to let me shorten my hours and change my schedule so I can continue to work after my maternity leave. Because Ed works EARLY in the morning to early afternoon, he can watch the baby while I work a few hours later afternoon. We’ll see how that balancing act comes out, but we’re grateful. And I think Ed will enjoy some hours with the baby every day.

Some ladies at church are throwing me a shower on Saturday. I’m very grateful. Being new around here, I certainly didn’t think anyone would do such a thing and I’ve been bending every direction trying to figure out what I really need to purchase versus what can wait so I don’t spend the gas money on cute onesies. Now I can rest easy until next week anyhow. Then I can decide what I still need versus what I now have.

I have to confess sometimes my priorities are skewed. I mean, besides making sure I have enough cloth diapers. And a crib. And a car seat. For even though I know clothing is essential, I find myself thinking more often of books I’d love to have in the baby’s room. or the wall hanging I want about reading. Or even the calendar to record the baby’s first year. But, in the end, I’m not worried. The practical part of me will always choose sleepers over books. And we’ll use our wonderful stroller to walk (or run!) to the library instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment