Thursday, January 12, 2017

2017: My Reading Goals

The final count for books I read in 2016 was 119. For being a wife, mom and part-time employee, I’d have to say that’s not bad. It’s just that my want-to-read list is probably three times that long…

I don’t doubt that my end-of-the-year 2017 count will be lower than that. Even if I’m not working part-time, I will have two kids. Although, nursing one will help. Even 3 AM feedings aren’t too bad with a Kindle. I read lots of books that way when I nursed Emry. Nearly 45 minutes of undisturbed reading! There are worse things in life.

But I don’t have any numbered goals this year. I decided that was one thing I didn’t want to “stress” over. Instead, I’ve made one book my ultimate goal: Shelby Foote’s The Civil War, Volume 2.

I have the complete trilogy of this Civil War epic that is claimed by some to be the ultimate Civil War history (although it avoids economics and politics of the era).  I read the first volume some years ago and found it very interesting – not too difficult to read as far as hefty histories go and very objective. I’m long overdue to read the other two volumes. And since I figure I need to read a mere three pages a day to complete it in a year, I actually haven’t started it. (Currently, it’s in a box…) I think I’m pretty safe in saying I’ll complete at least this New Year resolution.

Meanwhile, I have a short list of other “must reads”. I’ve put off re-reading Ben-Hur for too long. Ed actually being bored enough to watch Little Dorrit (which he so surprisingly enjoyed he finished in a marathon watch over a cold Sunday afternoon) reminded me I have yet to read that novel. And there are quite a few fun books I really want to re-read like The Incorrigible Children and All-of-a-Kind Family. Not to mention I’d just like to diminish my half a dozen lists I keep on my library account.

So, yes, I’ll have plenty to read in 2017 – even if I don’t quite break 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment