Thursday, January 26, 2017

My Family: The Popko Clan, Part 2

It’s been quite a while since I wrote my first blog about paternal grandmother’s family. So, if you need a refresher (like I did), you can look back at the post from September 16. And then tell me I should have posted Part 2 three months ago…

As I wrote in September, the Popko clan is a bit mythical to me. My grandmother was the baby of the ten children with nineteen years between her and the oldest. Not only did her stories come from the perspective of being the baby of the family (which anyone will tell you is a VERY different perspective), but some of her siblings she’s didn’t really know. Others she resented. Some, in her opinion, have a very special place in Heaven. Like the nuns.

Two of her sisters were nuns, both of the order of Notre Dame (which always seemed pretty elite whenever Grandma spoke of it, but then who else has “Touchdown Jesus”?). I learned when researching my family tree that prior to the newer rules, nuns changed their names when they took their vows and, thereafter, were never referred to by their birth names. In fact, their birth names were practically eradicated. It took me a while to find them scribbled in an old notebook my grandmother had: Monica and Melania. Monica became Sister Theolinde (or Sister Theo) in honor of her actual sister. I’m not sure what Melanie became because she reverted back to her actual name when the rules changed and was known as Sister Melania. Sister Theo died before I was born. I might have met Sister Melania (who died in 1987), but I was only a baby if I did. All I really know of them is they were saints.

Two more of Grandma’s siblings died young. Eva, the eldest, died as an infant or child. Francis, the eldest son, died in 1948 even before my father was born. He was married and did have a son (who died in 1999). All I ever knew of him is what my grandmother said: it was Paula’s fault he died and Paula’s fault his son died young, too. But, according to my grandmother, any family tragedy was Paula’s fault.

The other siblings I have met. I remember meeting Uncle Leo and Aunt Theo at my Aunt Jacque’s wedding in 1990. I don’t remember them really clearly, but I do remember my dad introducing me to Aunt Theo and then remarking as an aside how Grandma and all her sisters look, talk and laugh exactly alike. (He’s right. The creepy thing is, the same can be said of his four sisters.) To me, Uncle Leo and Aunt Theo were “normal”. They were born, grew up, got married, had kids and died in old age. Grandma got along with both of them, so there weren’t any odd stories to stimulate the imagination.

I didn’t odd stories to know my grandma. As a child, I found her a bit unusual but not uncaring. As I grew, I found her to be too bluntly honest. For a time, I thought she was picking on me – telling me in letters how bad my choices were and why. As an adult, I learned she did this to all my cousins and, upon reading old letters, to just about everyone else as well. Although this didn’t make for a close relationship, I never thought she didn’t somewhere deep down love me.

I also never needed stories about Aunt Julie. Aunt Julie, the middle child, was like the glue between everyone. She knew all her siblings, she forgave all her siblings, she told stories about everything. She had been lots of places, had lots of experiences and met lots of famous people (Frank Sinatra, John Ford, Ingrid Bergman…). Whenever Aunt Julie was around, stories abounded. And since she will be 100 years old this July…that’s a lot of stories! The only surviving sibling, today she lives in an assisted living in Chicago where she has passed over Bingo for Poker (she’s only allowed to play the men, though, as she’s too tough on the women) and lives a very busy life with her old neighbors.

To be honest, the greatest family tragedy I never heard blamed on Paula: Aunt Mary. The story I always heard was she was dropped as an infant. Whatever truly happened, she was mentally disabled her entire life and never left the family farm until moved into an assisted living when she and Paula could no longer take care of themselves. I met Aunt Mary once – the sweet sister/aunt everyone seemed to feel sorry for. I sincerely don’t think she felt sorry for herself, though. She seemed quite happy, had her pet bunnies in their cages and she was well cared for. Her parents loved and cared for her and Aunt Paula never left after she returned home to care for her dying father. I think she was very happy.

And Aunt Paula? Well, let’s put it this way: by the time I finally met Aunt Paula in 2000, I was prepared to meet some woman in a black pointed hat, broom in hand who was likely to curse me for the rest of my life. Come to find out, Aunt Paula didn’t have a pointed hat, a cauldron for casting spells or pointed teeth in which to suck out my blood. In fact, she looked like my grandmother, never got rid of anything (like my grandmother) and liked to plant trees (also like my grandmother). But if something went wrong in the Popko family, it was always blamed on Aunt Paula. Who knows why. Maybe she had done something way back when to deserve it – a mistake that her siblings couldn’t forgive. And yet…I discovered later through old newspaper clippings that Aunt Paula had worked for the University of Michigan and Notre Dame. She had been in the US Air Force during World War II as a meteorologist, being honorably discharged in 1955. She returned to Upper Penisula Michigan to care for her father when he got sick and later passed away. After that, instead of putting Aunt Mary in some home and going on with her life, she stayed up there and worked for some established local businessmen until she was too old and sick to do anymore. She was then moved to an assisted living with Aunt Mary where she died in 2007.

Families are funny things. All different personalities. All different perspectives. All different stories to tell. And yet one. Thinking about my grandma and her nine siblings makes me wonder: what will my grandkids have to say about “Grandma and all her sisters and brothers” in 50 years? Who will be the witch? Who will the saint? I’m honestly not sure I want to know…

No comments:

Post a Comment