Friday, January 6, 2017

Our Little Girl…and Cars

There’s one thing about the male sex I have always marveled at: their connection with cars. While I know that it’s a broad scale of extremes (those who find them as handy tools versus those who live, eat and breathe them), there does seem to be a connection regardless. I have tried my whole life to figure out how my dad and brothers can glance at a car and tell me what year it is when the year is not printed anywhere on it. (I know – I spent considerable time in my childhood trying to find it.)

My husband is even better. He can spot a car a mile away and tell me the year of it. Not to mention how it compares to the other years of that vehicle’s genealogy. Or how it compares to cars of it’s class that same year. I must confess I don’t always listen completely. Anymore than he listens to the plot of the current book I’m reading.

For Ed, cars are a hobby. He would spend every spare moment he has at a car lot test driving if he could. And then only thing I have ever seen him read from cover to cover is his Car and Driver magazine. So does his daughter.

Yes, Emry will sit on the floor and flip through the Car and Driver. She happily points to all the pictures, declaring, “Car! Car! Truck! Car!” She does the same thing when we’re out walking or running. Every car we pass gets pointed at…and since nearly everyone in Pittsburgh parks on the street, that’s a lot of cars! The most I can tell her is, “Yep, that’s a blue car. And that’s a red car. And that’s a white truck…” While I could branch out a little from colors since I do know what a Toyota insignia looks like versus a Ford one and vehicle makers at least print the model of the car on the back, I’ll never be Ed. “Look, Emry! A 1978 Pontiac Grand Am.” (I repeat: where is that date printed? Not to mention that 1978 really means 1977 in most cases. Why do car companies do that? It’s like saying Emry’s birthdate is really 2014 when she was conceived. It makes no sense to me.)

Emry also has her father’s expensive taste. At the mall, she loves to run up to the cars put on display – cars we can’t possibly afford. She even wants to climb in and sit in them. And her favorite “store” is the Tesla showcase. While I admit that looking at a Tesla is fascinating, I’m fairly sure I’ll never be able to afford one in this lifetime. (Not to mention that even if I could, I can think of a million things to purchase over a car.) So, the other day at the mall was quite a treat: a Tesla just her size!

Emry picks out her first car.

I didn’t even check the price tag on it. I’m fairly sure it’s not in my price range either – no matter how small!

No comments:

Post a Comment