Saturday, November 4, 2017

Emry-isms

 Honestly, if I maintain a blog for no other reason, at least it’s a great record of the life of my children. Maybe, someday, they’ll appreciate knowing all the things they did as kids that their mother can no longer remember. But, then again…maybe not.

Emry is at that age when pieces of her world come together, sometimes in the funniest of ways. Of course, to her they make perfect sense. And, to be honest, her logic is often spot on even if it’s wrong. (Which can make you wonder if right is then illogical….) And, other times…well, it reminds me of how the English language doesn’t always make sense.

Several weeks ago, Emry was doing a search-and-find book. (She loves these! She and Grandpa should find some Highlight magazines to work on together…) I told her she needed to find a gramophone. Naturally, she has no clue what that is. She doesn’t even know what a CD player is let alone a record player let alone a gramophone. Thankfully, there was a picture of one which brought a look of confusion to her face. But, in all her two-year-old simple trust, she shrugged, nodded and said, “Find Grandma’s phone.”

After much discussion, we decided to take Emry trick-or-treating this week. We didn’t do anything big. We bought her a kitty mask (which she loves to wear while doing her yoga – that’s another story!), decorated a bag and dressed warmly in her fleece lined overalls and Sock Monkey fleece jacket. (And since Ed and Ethan were also wearing their matching Sock Monkey jackets, I think people thought that was the actual costume.)

Now, this is an important side note: I have an unusual toddler, especially considering she has a younger brother. But Emry has never used the words “My” or “Mine”. Mostly this is because personal pronouns have always been a bit allusive to her. She refers to herself in third person, so if Ethan has something that belongs to her you hear, “Biffen, that’s Emmy’s!” That said, it was hilarious as we walked down one of our neighborhood streets and Ed started teasing Emry about her bag of candy and saying it was his. Emry stopped, stood firm and stated loudly, “It’s my candy!”

I think Ed and I laughed for the next block.

Today was a very nice autumn day, cool enough for a jacket but quite sunny and lovely to be out for a walk. It started as a “bike ride” with Emry riding her Strider around the block, but she tired of that pretty quickly and then wanted to walk further than I had intended to get some pinecones. It was a bit cumbersome with the bike parked on the handles of the stroller and then Emry sitting on the front of the stroller telling me I needed to run before the whole walk was over (I didn’t bring the double stroller thinking the walk wouldn’t be that long…), but it was a nice day out. The last little bit Emry wanted to run, so she jumped off the stroller and took off. She runs a bit like me (doesn’t pick up her feet as she ought) and started to take a tumble, but then she caught herself. In order to ward off anymore tears (she had already slipped once on a steep decline in some leaves and landed on her bottom), I cheered her for catching herself so she didn’t get hurt. At first, she gave me a strange look and I knew why. Catch refers to a ball, not to one’s self. But once she figured she could use the word interchangeably, she was delighted. And for the next half hour, I heard about nothing except “Emmy caught herself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment