Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Success!

2020 would be a very easy year to write off just about any goal that one did not achieve. Any excuse under the sun could be found to push the goal aside and very little guilt would be felt in doing so. However, I am happy to report that I successfully fulfilled my 2020 reading goal.

 

One could say that getting some reading in during 2020 was easy enough. After all, didn’t we all spend some kind of time in some form of quarantine? But quarantine with two kids and a husband home from work does not allow for any extra reading time. If anything, it gave me less. And while I was able to spend time reading when Ellyson was first born, my plates seem much more full now. In fact, I didn’t get as much read as I usually do. But I did achieve my goals!

 

For while the closure of the library for a few months was a terrible loss (and thoroughly ridiculous), the fact that I couldn’t get any books from other sources allowed me to achieve goal #2: read books from my own shelves. I read at least three dozen off my own shelves, something I probably would not have accomplished if the library had been open.

 

Goal #1 was to read at least one biography or non-fiction book from my list a month. To be honest, I’m not sure if I read one a month, but all told I read seventeen. So, I can clap myself on the back as an over-achiever. I do like surpassing my goals!


And goal #3 was to read Charles Spurgeon’s The Treasury of David, volume 2.A worthy accomplishment and certainly the best thing I read all year, even if at times some of the expositions were a bit profound for me. But they were also very timely, especially the writings on Psalms 102 and 103. Very often I wondered: if Charles Spurgeon had lived in 2020, what would his response have been? Certainly no one can say for certain, but I think it would have been very different than ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment