Saturday, December 26, 2020

The Anticipation is Killing Me

The above phrase took on new meaning this year as we approached Christmas. But it wasn’t my anticipation: it was my kids’!

 

The anticipation of the arrival of Christmas is by far more thrilling the actual day thereof. Emry and Ethan were so excited as their chain to count down the days got shorter, the pile of gifts under the tree got bigger, and the sure arrival of Christmas day became more apparent. When the actual day arrived, it was rather anti-climatic – new toys aside, of course.

 

I was glad to see it’s arrival. The pent up energy vibrating through the house was beginning to drive me insane. I had more things to get done than I had time to do and the two of them bouncing off my walls only added to my list. I was so glad Ellyson had no clue what was going on! She can be enough of a handful without additional energy.

 

But the day did arrive. We celebrated Christmas Eve at my parents, enjoyed Christmas morning at home with hardly any space to walk upon, and spent the rest of the day again at my parents with a cousin, aunts and uncle (who brought home a new dog). The anticipation now gone, Christmas became enjoyable!

 

The following day as I was helping Ethan in his room, he looked at me sadly and said, “Mama, that’s the end of Christmas. There is no more Christmas.”

 

“Ethan,” I replied, “Christmas comes every year. Just like your birthday.”

 

“It does?!?”

 

I admit I hesitated. After all, if this was the only Christmas ever I wouldn’t have to live through the killing anticipation again…and again…and again… But, I can’t lie…and he’d figure it out next year anyway.

 

“Yes, Ethan, we’ll have Christmas again next year.”

 

“Yea!” 

 

And so the anticipation starts all over again…

 

                                                                    Our favorite 2020 gift: Ellyson.

 

Emry and Grandma playing a new game.

 

Emry, Beto, and Ethan helping Uncle KK with the cookie tray.

 

I’m not sure what the hand signs mean…some guy thing?

 

Our new little handyman.

 

Emry: one dance performance down, three more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment