Saturday, December 4, 2021

As the Parade Passes By

When I was a kid attending Homecoming and Christmas parades in Lewisburg, Tennessee; I wanted to grow up and become a cheerleader in high school. Then I could ride on the fire truck. Needless to say, that is one of my many childhood goals I did not fulfill.

 

The only opportunity I had to be in a parade was in New Hampshire with my softball team. But whatever parade that was, it fell when I had to be back in school. I was sorely disappointed, as you are so often as a kid.

 

I knew when I enrolled Emry in B-boppers last year that marching in the Christmas parade was something they did. But all things being Covid last year, I can’t remember if there even was a Christmas parade. (Heaven forbid we should all somehow give Santa Covid!) I was okay with that. Less commitment in what had been a wild year with government induced panic and Ellyson’s birth. This year, though, the Christmas parade was on! And Emry was quite psyched about marching in it.

 

First she had a routine to learn. Like all routines, her dance instructor records it and posts it so I can download it to my laptop and Emry can practice. The first night I had her practice the parade routine, she wasn’t sure she could unless I marched (backwards) in front of her with the laptop in hand. I convinced her to at least try it by starting in the kitchen doorway and dancing towards the hall doorway. She always has the laptop in my swivel chair, so I would turn it as she marched. This worked, and she took on turning it herself as she danced past.  

 

The day of the parade was not as bitterly cold as I had thought it might be, thankfully. Dressed in layers (her team jacket is not that thick!), she was ready to go and we managed to get her to her post without totaling getting turned around. Now the rest of us getting back downtown to park…well, that was not quite as easy to accomplish. Still, we managed and found my parents and nephew to settle in and watch. 

 

It was a really good parade, and having it at night so everything is lit up makes sense. Ethan enjoyed it (and, of course, the candy). Ellyson wanted to join in. She danced to the music and tried to walk out into the parade more than once. Emry was near the end, so we had to wait quite a while before her dance troupe made their way to us. We shouted her name and she did hear us but as is typical of Emry, she was very focused on her routine and getting it right.

 

After she marched past, I made my way to the end of the parade to get her. She had fun, although (because she is six), she kept asking about candy. We made it back to the route in time to see the Purdue marching band and Santa, neither of which was handing out candy. But parades being parades, we found quite a few pieces of candy on our way back to our car. Content with that, she had a great time. And I think she’s ready to do it again next year!



Studio B - Emry is the one on the left front in pink boots.

 

Ethan watching the parade.

 

Ellyson had one of the best seats in the house…except she wanted to be in the parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment