Thursday, November 18, 2010

I can't remember the first time I heard that memorizing Scripture is the best deterrent to temptation, but I have heard it often. I was recently reading a book that reminded me of this fact. The author pointed out, however, that memorizing "Jesus wept" would probably not keep you from giving into the temptation of, say, stealing. Her point was that a lot of Scripture must be memorized in order to truly combat the wiles of our enemy and the deceits of our own heart. I completely agree with that and have often wished my 30-year-old mind was as pliable and attentive as my 2-year-old mind was. For verses my dad taught me 28 years ago are still with me. The one I memorized this morning? Let me think...

And yet I stopped when I read that and realized that while "Jesus wept" might not keep me from stealing a coke at the local convenient store, it is an amazing verse. For it tells us so much about our Savior: His compassion, love, truth and how He is "touched with feeling of our infirmities".

When Jesus wept, it was at the tomb of His beloved friend Lazarus. Now Jesus knew when He received the message from Lazarus's sisters Mary and Martha days ago that Lazarus was sick unto death, but He did not hasten to their home in Bethany to heal the sick man. Because Jesus also knew He would raise Lazarus from the dead. He stood outside that tomb and wept, knowing all along that in a few moments, Lazarus would be as alive and well as Himself. Yet that did not stop His tears. That did not keep Him from entering into the sorrow of Mary and Martha. Nor, do I think, He mourned simply because they mourned. Lazarus was His friend. He sincerely felt the loss - even for a moment.

One of my favorite passages of the New Testament is the resurrection of Lazarus because it shows me so much about my loving Savior. I never fail to marvel that He did not go when Mary and Martha sent the message or His disciples beseeched Him to answer it. It seems callous, but it was the very best thing He could do for them. The compassion He shows to the sisters is wondrous - full of truth in the midst of His deep love for them. And then He weeps. The tenderness He shows reminds me of how much I am loved.

Of course, the conclusion of the story is Lazarus's amazing return to life. It confounded the witnesses and angered the religious leaders so much, the plot to take His life reached earnestness. Very shortly, He would die. And He would rise again. And all His glory and might would be shown for generations. So that His love might be given to me - and to all of His children.

And that is the wonder of two little words: "Jesus wept".

No comments:

Post a Comment