Monday, November 8, 2010

Texas Thankfulness #7

"One of these days" is a rather common phrase in my life. For there are so many places I want to see, and people I want to visit, and things I want to do. But the biggest "one of these days" on my list is being a real published writer. Unfortunately, working a full time job does not allow for much time to write...so my dream must take a back seat to reality. But meanwhile, Texas does offer me one thing...

A writer's critique group. Every Wednesday night, this group meets at a bookstore in a mall in Grapevine not too far from where I work. So, after a jog through a nearby park and a bite to eat, off I head with my notebook (decorated with pictures Caleb and Violet have colored for me) and a chapter of my latest book to read. Four or five other ladies gather, most writers and one illustrator, to read and discuss our latest works, hopes and dreams. For me, it's a great two hours of insight, encouragement and a boost in confidence.

For, I've yet to consider myself a "writer", no matter how often I get told that if I scribble, then I am a "writer". I am especially so, because I can't stop. Even though I have so little time to do it now, I cannot imagine my life without stories running through my head, characters that are a part of my life, and my laptop full of ramblings. And I have a feeling that even if I had a copy of a book with my name on it in my hand, I still wouldn't be convinced I am a writer...that's just the way I am.

But the ladies in my critique group are convinced I can write. I'm very good with plots, characters, and I have wit. In fact, I've had them laughing at some of the things my last highstrung character did. They've told me many times they're just awaiting my first book. Now if I could only find a publishing company willing to take it...and time to send it to them. Until then, I'll just keep scribbling, dreaming and hoping!

PS - Yes, I changed my blog to suit my love for winter. For since Texas doesn't really have this season, I have to find ways to enjoy it any way I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment