Tuesday, March 6, 2012

100 Years Ago Today...

...the world was introduced to the Oreo cookie!

Okay, so maybe not the world. Actually, just a little store in Hoboken, New Jersey. But it was one of those little ideas we all wish we had for as of today more than 362 billion Oreos have been consumed and Nabisco has made lots more than 362 billion dollars on two chocolate wafer cookies with cream in the middle.

Today, Oreos is world renowned. Almost everyone recognizes the imprinted, serrated edges of an Oreo and the iconic name in blue and white. In America, we have dozens of options for Oreo purchase: regular, mint, colored cream (red, green, orange, pastels, etc. according to the holiday or movie they're promoting), double stuffed, mini, chocolate covered, reversible (vanilla wafers with chocolate cream) or in ice cream (Blizzards, McFlurries, etc.), brownies, cheesecake and truffles. In honor of 100 years, today you can purchase them with sprinkles in the cream. If you go to other countries you will find Oreos with fruit flavored middles or in green tea ice cream (which, ironically, sounds rather good).

There are also a million ways to eat Oreos. (I'm rather surprised there isn't a book on the topic - maybe I should write one). There is the every popular dunking. My dad use to do that, and I always thought it disgusting. It makes the cookies soggy, I don't like milk as a drink anyhow and it was made worse with cookie crumbs in it. Then there is the twist: twist off one side, lick the cream and then eat the cookies. Or you can just be boring and pop the whole thing in your mouth. (That's more my style, although I eat it in two or three bites versus one whole.)

It's funny to think of memories surrounding a cookie, but I do have them. I remember a contest I once watched to see who could stuff more Oreos into their mouth. I remember one of my favorite commercials for Oreos with two little boys, one from the US and one from an oriental nation in an airport where they exchanged "cultural" ways of eating an Oreo. And then there is the scene in the newer Parent Trap where young Lindsay Lohan eats Oreos dipped in peanut butter. (I concur that that is an awesome way to eat Oreos!)

In our family, Oreos are a joke for my sister Sally HATES them. She won't even eat Cookies 'n Cream ice cream! (One of my personal favorites.) Growing up, Oreos were also a treat - they had to be on sale at the grocery store and we were usually on a trip if we got them. Having one sister who disliked them meant more for the rest of us!

So, Happy 100th Birthday, Oreo! Maybe I'll celebrate by eating you...

No comments:

Post a Comment