Friday, March 2, 2012

Am I there Yet?

If you read the blog from Monday, you'll know my week didn't start out well at all. By Monday evening, work had quieted down. I played tennis that night and went home for an exhausted night's sleep. Everything would look better in the morning, right?

When my alarm went off in the morning, I rolled out of bed and almost fell over. Like most people that exercise quite regularly, I have a couple of re-occurring injuries (probably because I don't nurse them as I should). Well, the muscle on the bottom of my left foot that I pull every few months or so must have been stretched beyond it's reach at tennis. I could hardly walk! I got to my bathroom, looked in the mirror and told my sleepy self, "Melissa, you're just a week over 32 - you shouldn't be falling apart yet!" But out came the Advil and a heat pad to join me at work.

By the end of a blessedly quiet day, my foot was fine. Went to bed that night a bit early...and woke up the next morning with a pulled muscle in the middle of the right side of my back. Good grief, I thought as I twisted to stretch it out, I guess I was right to feel old when I turned 32. But, I have to confess, I didn't do anything about this pull. I figured once I stretched it and worked it throughout the day, it would fall back into place. It didn't trouble me until I was driving to church that night...when it then decided to shoot pain up and down my back. I had to stop at CVS and get some Advil before I went to church. Thankfully, I was fine by the time class started...and was great throughout the rest of the night. Until 2:30 the next morning...

I thought nothing was worse than waking up with a calf pull after not stretching correctly after running. Muscle pain in the back is much worse. I limped into my bathroom, took some Advil and settled into bed propped up against pillows so I couldn't move. A half hour later, I was fine and fell asleep. But the next morning, the Advil and heat pad joined me at work again. After treating it all day with heat, ice last night and an Icyhot pack as I slept, it only twinges of pain today...

It's funny, but I've had more than one conversation this week about Christ's return and eternal bliss in Heaven: no tears, no pain...nothing but fervent and eternal joy. I thought this morning that if I live 70 years, I'm not even half way there. Which almost makes me sigh. But, who knows, maybe my days of pain and tears are nearly over. Until then, I guess I need to re-heat my heat pad...

No comments:

Post a Comment