Monday, March 12, 2012

Spring...or Summer

Well, winter never came. I waited (granted, not very patiently). And I prayed (but my faith continues to be smaller than a mustard seed). But aside from a dusting of snow in December, nothing white landed in Texas. All I can hope now is that doesn't mean another blistering summer of 100 days of 200 degree weather. (Okay, I'm exaggerating, but isn't everything bigger and hotter in Texas?)

This past weekend it rained. And I'm not going to complain about the temperatures being in the upper 40s to mid 50s because I prayed for just ONE more "wintery" weekend, and I'll try to be content with what I got. Today it is bright, and sunny, and will hit the 80s. As will tomorrow. And then more rain. Which means the grass will grow in abundance, Haley and I have two evenings to mow, trim, cut and rake...and then rain will fall so more will grow in abundance. This will continue until the blistering heat arrives (I'm predicting) sometime the end of April and last (no doubt) until sometime in the middle of November. Hence everything will die, and we'll wonder why we bothered to mow, trim, cut and rake to begin with - it was all going to die anyhow.

So despite Mr. Groundhog's prediction of six more weeks of winter, spring is here (or summer, depending on where you peg 80 degrees - on my scale that's summer despite over two years in Texas). Leaves are coming out on the trees. The daffodils have bloomed and fallen flat thanks to high winds and rain last Thursday. And the irises will soon bloom. In order to usher in what I wish would go away for a few more weeks, I made my blog a bit more springlike. At least it's colorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment