Monday, July 16, 2012

Book Review

When I was about thirteen years old, I got into reading private detective books and decided that was just the life for me. That lasted for about a year, but in some ways I got my wish. Almost every day I have to do some form of detective work. I mean, how am I supposed to know the height of a patient I've never seen? Not sure, but I snooped around and found the answer. Because, for some reason I can't explain, that's my job.

Detective work is intriguing, although I'm sure it's not as exciting as Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie or the other great detectives of the novels. Like Ellie Moore. But Ellie Moore just needed a job. And the Pinkertons needed an older woman to snoop around a silver mining town in Arizona. With some touches of make-up and other accruments she picked up in the theatre, Ellie Moore turned herself into the perfect old lady. What she didn't bargain for was also having to be the perfect young lady. But that's what happens when your experienced partner bows out: you get to be two detectives rolled up in one.

Love in Disguise by Carol Cox is the story of inexperienced Ellie Moore, thrown into playing two parts in an investigation of silver mining thefts. Having never been a detective before, she finds herself trying to sniff out information while balancing the act of being two different people. It's the role of a lifetime, but will the outcome be applause or a final curtain?

A little predictable, Love in Disguise isn't written to be so much a mystery as a light romance in the wild west. For there are few clues to follow to the conclusion, so the ending was a bit of a surprise but also left me wondering how I was supposed to come to that answer. So, if you're looking for a good mystery curl up with Sherlock Holmes. If you're looking for simply an easy read, Love in Disguise is a pretty good choice.


 Love in Disguise, Carol Cox, 978-0-7642-0955-0
http://www.bethanyhouse.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=0477683E4046471488BD7BAC8DCFB004&nm=&type=PubCom&mod=PubComProductCatalog&mid=BF1316AF9E334B7BA1C33CB61CF48A4E&AudId=205F4A61B07648D98551934CA40DE116&tier=2

This book was provided by Bethany House Publishers by review purposes only.

No comments:

Post a Comment