Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Touch of a Life

There are many people in this world who will touch our lives in one way or another as we journey on this pilgrimage to our Home. Some we know well. Some we know very little. And some, in their own quiet way, make an impression that will last, perhaps, a lifetime.

My fondest memory was in February, probably in 2006 or 2007. Although eight years younger than me, his birthday was around the same time as mine. I met him in the crowded hall at church as I put my coat on, a face I saw every week with an almost shy smile that never seemed to disappear. He had a glass jar full of Starbursts in his hands.

"Happy Birthday, Jesse," I told him.

"Thanks. Would you like one? Or two?"

He held the jar out to me and I took a couple of my favorites with a thank-you.

In all honesty, that was probably the longest conversation I ever held with Jesse Amador, although I would greet him if we crossed paths or ask him how work was going now and then. But he was always at church. He was always with his friends. He always wore a smile. He had a sweet, gentle spirit. A young man who the Lord could truly use here on this earth.

But very early this morning as Jesse Amador drove to work, he swerved to miss a dead bear in the road. Swerving back, he lost control of his car, passed over the median and down a hill into the forests of New Hampshire...and met his Savior.

It is hard to understand how the Lord works. Why He would take a promising 24-year-old young man to be with Him when we could think of a hundred reasons for that young man to stay with us. And yet is not Jesse most blessed to be with our Lord?

If you read this, pray for the Amador family: Jesse's parents, his five siblings and his church family who loved him dearly. The days ahead will be hard, but we know there is a Comforter and He will comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment