Monday, January 21, 2013

On the Road Again, Part 1


Last week my mom told me that once I have an empty box in front of me and tape in my hand, it will all come back to me. Apparently, that is true…for half my belongings (in Texas) are packed and I don’t leave for 2 ½ more weeks!

I’m sure I have some sort of disorder. I mean, everyone has one. It’s all the rage. ADD, OCD…I think mine is MCD: Moving Compulsion Disorder. I told a friend that the boxes piled about my room feel normal and comfortable. Like my world is right again. And I guess it is. I’ve been at my present address for two years and three months. It’s time to move!

So, yes, I am moving. To Minnesota. In two and a half weeks. And just as a disclaimer, this was not in the game plan. In no way do these pieces seem to fit with the many others God has placed in my unfinished puzzle the past two years or so. Well, in my view. In God’s…well, it’s the right move. I know it is. Only God’s perfect plan gives one perfect peace even when it doesn’t make sense.

I will back up. About three months…well, a bit more. I started looking for another job. Not passionately. Just looked up things that might be of interest to me. Most of them office kind of work – all of them out of Texas and further north. Applied for different things here and there with very little luck. As weeks passed, I started looking more. Things were going on that just weren’t right, and I started praying that God would let me leave: somewhere north and in time for me to enjoy some winter. I am getting exactly what I prayed for.

One line of work I was toying with was working at a Christian camp full time. I have lots of fond memories of the two summers spent at Ridgecrest and always thought Connie, the office manager/registrar there, had the best of jobs. I applied for a few and heard back. The week after Thanksgiving, I even flew up to North Dakota to take a look at one. It was while I was whiling away several hours in the Denver airport that I heard back from another camp. This one in Minnesota. I had nearly forgotten about it, but they said if I was still interested to fill out of the attached application. I had time (what else do you have as you await for an airplane to arrive?), so I did. I have never filled out an application with essay questions, but I’m not a procrastinator. I had it sent back to them by Monday morning.

North Dakota didn’t work out. I didn’t have great hopes for Minnesota, but they set up a time to interview. First with the assistant director. We made a good connection and the interview went well. The next step was to try a Skype interview with him and two other employees, including their present registrar. Due to technology malfunctions (or more likely the malfunctions with the users themselves), it ended up being just a phone call. It went very well, but in the course of conversation it came out that they wanted a four to five year commitment. Even though they came back with three years, I could not honestly promise that. It was one of the hardest things I had ever refused. I almost wondered if I felt like Moses looking into the Promised Land but unable to enter. I wanted the job, but I could not be dishonest to obtain it. I sent an email that I would have to refuse. They replied that they understood. And that was that.

Or so I thought…

No comments:

Post a Comment