Wednesday, January 23, 2013

On the Road Again, Part 2


It’s funny how as you put things in boxes what you own accumulates. Of course, I have always been bad at estimating. I know box sizes quite well (like, they definitely do NOT make one dollhouse size), but there always ended up being way more book boxes lined up in my bedroom than I thought. And even with only a quarter of my book collection with me, the same thing has happened. At least I’m using the normal size book boxes. Apparently, they are now smaller. I would need, like, a hundred of them.

Anyhow, I had turned down the job and was getting ready for the holidays: shopping, shipping, finding airline tickets, packing. I had lots on my mind with other things, too. So, when I got a call Friday mid-morning…well, I knew the area code but was busy so I let it go to voice mail. It was Eric, the director of operations…asking me to reconsider because they would really like me to take the job.

That gave me plenty of food for thought that afternoon. I sent him an e-mail explaining the full circumstances of why I could not promise three full years. I added that if, knowing everything, they still wanted me to consider the job…well, I would – gladly. And then came the holidays.

Christmas and New Year’s were nice. I went to Indiana and spent the time with my family, which is always fun. I came back thinking about Minnesota and trying to figure out what God had in mind. (Of course, that never works out, but I always seem to try anyhow.) I got an e-mail from Eric the week after New Years, saying he would contact my references. That he did. I had one tell me she was afraid he was going to ask my shoe size – who gives a reference that takes a whole half hour? But they were VERY thorough. And still wanted me.

I traveled up there the 10th-11th to see the camp. It’s located two hours northwest of Minneapolis in a little town called Burtrum. Camp Lebanon is a beautiful location, surrounded my hills and trees right on a lovely lake (that was frozen solid). I loved seeing the snow. I loved having to wear a coat. I loved no traffic. (I can’t tell you how much I loved the latter – I never realized how the traffic down here stresses one so!) Everyone I met was so friendly and welcoming, even Eric’s entire family whom I met at dinner. The morning of the 11th, I first breakfasted with the ladies on staff and then met with the “stakeholders”. That was seven people in one room shooting questions at me like I was on trial for something. Okay, it wasn’t that bad. And by that time, I felt quite comfortable with most of them and was fine with whatever happened. Of course, I was still a bit nervous when I was dismissed until lunch so they could discuss me among themselves.

After lunch, I met with Eric again. He said it was unanimous. However, the director, Bill, wished for all of us to pray about it over the weekend. So, we were going to have a discussion that he would call me Monday, but here was the plan to get me up there. Admittedly, it was all a bit overwhelming, but I left Minnesota that day with plans to turn around and come back in less than a month.

The weekend I spent praying but also knowing that this was God’s will for me. After all, how many people come back and offer you a job you turned down? Or unanimously agree you are the one? Or that everything just falls into place? And that even though it makes no sense, it’s just right. As I thought about it on the way to church Sunday, I told God these pieces did not fit into the puzzle I was imagining…in fact, they don’t even seem to fit into the pieces already in place. I didn’t understand. And I could practically hear God, “Well, Melissa, maybe it’s about time they didn’t look right to you.”

God’s ways are not our ways. And His thoughts are not our thoughts. Being a planner by nature, I purposely put that truth out of my head as I plunge ahead and try to make everything work with what I can see. Which is never everything. Thankfully, God is so often a gentle teacher. And a true one. For even though these pieces don’t look right, I am looking forward to seeing the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment