Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The 200th Anniversary

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.  ~ Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

This is probably one of the best opening lines of a novel in the entire world. I’ve even studied at a writer’s clinic. After all it: 1) grabs attention and 2) sets the tone of the entire novel. For what else is Pride and Prejudice about but the prejudiced Elizabeth finding a wonderful husband in the wealthy, prideful Mr. Darcy?
The first time I read Pride and Prejudice I was in 6th or 7th grade. I read it as part of a book club some friends and I had. I imagine the girl who chose the book had just read it for the first time as a school assignment and loved it. I can’t say I fell in love with it, but I was intrigued. I had just started on the path of my writing “career” (which path I still tread in high hopes) and thought what an amazing author Jane Austen was to have all these multiple characters somehow tied together.
But I must confess I mostly forgot about Pride and Prejudice until I was 21 or so. Katey and I were home for a weekend by ourselves while everyone else went camping, and we decided to try out the multi-volumed VHS Pride and Prejudice from the library. We thought we’d take all weekend to watch it. We finished it Friday night…or was it early Saturday morning? And that is when I fell in love. Yes, more with Mr. Darcy than anything!
Today I cannot tell you how many times I have curled up on the couch and watched five hours of Pride and Prejudice. Granted, not usually in one sitting, but within two or three. And even though I could probably recite it, I still sigh over Darcy, wish I were Elizabeth, laugh at Bingley’s ridiculous sisters, want to tell Jane not to be so naïve, and desire to shake Lydia…and Mrs. Bennett. And because of that movie, my mother has decided she wishes to be called “Grandmama!”
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read the book either…and kick myself for not bringing my copy from Indiana (or always forgetting to grab it when I’m up there). I am very defensive of this book. When that book/movie came out called Lost in Austen, I wanted to throw something at my television. I may have the biggest crush in the world on Darcy (like most girls), but how dare anyone suggest he marry someone besides Elizabeth!
This week is the 200th anniversary of Pride and Prejudice. Published on January 27, 1813 in three volumes, it was an immediate success. And, I imagine, will continue to be for another 200 years.
Happy anniversary Pride and Prejudice!

No comments:

Post a Comment