Friday, January 25, 2013

On the Road Again, Part 3


Well, it is summer in Texas. Okay, not really. It’s in the 70s and summer in Texas means the 100s. All the same, it is January. At least, that’s what my calendar says. But I can deal with it. Because in two weeks, I will be somewhere where the high will be in the teens. And let me just tell you, I cannot wait!

Everything is falling into place. I have the truck and trailer reserved – one way larger than I need but if it means no miles on my car, I’m happy. My room has boxes everywhere. Most are packed and taped up. A few are mostly packed, but they have a little space for something I might come across that will fit. And a few more are empty. But, more or less, that’s done. My dad has his flights to come down and help me travel up. I have the hotel reserved for the little-more-than-midway point. And I know where I’m moving into for a few weeks. My to-do is shorter rather than longer. And enough people are feeding me next week that I won’t need to eat for a month.

My last day at work is next Friday, February 1. I have to confess that I am counting down the days. Truth is, there’s not a lot to do. The guy that’s taking my place will manage…and he has my phone number if he can’t figure something out later. I’ll have several days to finish my own personal things. Dad arrives on the 6th. We leave bright and early on the 7th. It will be a pretty boring drive through the Midwest of the US – a drive I haven’t made since I was four. I don’t remember it, although I do remember some of the things that happened that last trip.

I arrive on the 8th. A couple that volunteer at the camp have been kind enough to let me live at their house and put my stuff in their garage until I find a more permanent place to live over the next few weeks. Another girl who works at the camp lives there. I didn’t get to meet her, but we’ve been in touch and think we’re going to have fun. She already mentioned snowshoeing. I’ve never done that and am really looking forward to it. Winter sports! Yea!

Dad heads back on the 9th. The 10th will be a glorious day of rest. And the 11th will be my first day at work. I imagine it will be like learning to speak Greek, but if I learned to speak “hospice”, I think “camp” will be a lot easier. After all, I’ve already had a couple of summers in it. Besides, I know I ‘m going to be working with some awesome people who, for some reason, think I’m going to fit into this job and their team perfectly. I hope I rise to their expectations. I do know they will help me settle in, not only with my job but in my new location and finding a new church.

So, the adventure is on my doorstep. And my blog will follow me up to the snowy, bitter cold of Minnesota (which, Haley reminded me, is on the same latitude as Russia). I’m looking forward to seeing what God is going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment