Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013

Two days into the new year and, well...let's jut hope these 38 hours aren't a pre-cursor of the year to come.

Had yesterday off from work, even though I was just off for a whole week. The point of taking yesterday off was to catch up on the to-do list that's piled up at home. It was a nice thought, but it didn't go very far. I worked faithfully on the list Monday night and Tuesday morning. Then I dashed off with Haley to meet a couple of friends at the theatre to see Les Miserables. Loved it...and, for me, it was aptly named. For I left the theatre miserable.

First of all, Haley and I took her car to the theatre. During the previews-turn-off-your-cell-phones-buy-concessions part we had a deep discussion that this "Hide. Lock. Take" thing is backwards. Why? Because you really ought to take your keys before you lock the car. Case in point: Haley locked her keys in the car. Alicia was kind enough to give us a ride home. Then we took my car to get Haley's car. I suppose it is always good to start a new year with a good lesson learned.

But that was more amusing than miserable. Towards the last half of the movie, I got a sinus headache. Not a huge deal. I get those. Once the movie was over, I opened my mouth to answer a question and sounded like a 12-year-old boy whose voice is changing: squeaky, every other word, hoarse. Went home and Haley started a fire. Had dinner, wanted to work on something I hadn't finished but felt awful, put some pieces in the puzzle I'm working on. At 7, I couldn't take it anymore and went to bed. By this point, I was feverish, shivering, coughing and still couldn't talk. Drugged myself and was fast asleep by nine.

Fast forward to this morning. Awoke feeling fine except I can't speak above a hoarse whisper. And every-once-in-a-while I feel feverish and chilled. As I work with nurses, I keep getting asked what is wrong, and told what to take, and instructed to go to the doctor if I can't get rid of it by the end of the weekend. I feel well enough to work, but I did cancel going to teach the kids tonight at church. They certainly don't need what germs I may have. Instead, I'll go home, rest and go to bed early.

So, that is the gist of my start of 2013. Hope yours has been better. Happy 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment