Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Christmas Baking

Cooking has become a chore. Mostly because eating is a chore. It’s not that I’m so sick I don’t want to eat. I just don’t feel like eating. However, not eating makes me even more sick. It’s a vicious circle.

So, baking was a chore this year. I had wanted to try a new Christmas cookie every year, eventually creating a list of four or five favorites that would become our family’s traditional cookies. A couple are ones I grew up with: Sandies and Spritz. I always loved the Reese Cup cookies, so that is an addition I’ve already added. And I lovegingerbread cookies, but I hate decorating. So, I found a gingerbread crinkle cookie recipe that is easy and really good. This year, those are the four I made with help from the kids as most of those are easy enough they can help somehow. And as I figured out pretty quickly that sugar is a sickness trigger for this pregnancy, that is all I made. I just couldn’t stomach baking more cookies I can’t eat anyhow.

To be completely honest, I find all the baking to be rather a chore. I enjoy baking – for a brief moment in time and then I would rather be doing something else. But by growing up baking every Christmas, I hope the kids will enjoy it and one day take on a majority of the work themselves. I just hope Ethan won’t make quite the mess he already makes. And that Emry won’t be quite so bossy. Both of which, I imagine, are rather vain hopes…

 Making Reese Cup cookies…

…and decorating Spritz.

No comments:

Post a Comment