Monday, December 23, 2019

Christmas Dresses

I always remember loving Christmas and Easter because it meant new dresses for church. Not that we didn’t get dresses other times of the year, but those never seemed quite as nice. For Easter we got to pick out lovely spring prints for fancy summery dresses (even if it did snow more often than not on Easter in New England) and for Christmas, cozy warm colored dresses that may not have been as fancy but I always liked better. 
I have fond memories of many of my Christmas dresses. Most times they matched my sisters, although we all had some that were made solely for us and matched no one. At times, even my mom had a matching dress and my dad and brothers matching ties. One of my favorites even taught me an important life-long lesson I have never forgotten. Those days of getting a new outfit each Christmas are over (especially when one is pregnant), but I had a lot of fun looking back through pictures to find some of them:

 Christmas 1986 – the greyish blue corduroy that taught me a lesson.

Christmas 1990 – I loved the fabric, but I am glad big collars and dropped waists are no longer in style!

Now I have a little girl I can dress up, although her style is much fancier and sparklier than mine ever was! This year Emry’s first Christmas dress is actually store bought. She saw it on an outing with Grandma and fell in love with the sparkling red dress that certainly suits her style. So, Grandma bought it. But the second dress Grandma made and one day, I hope, Emry will think of the dress and all it entails. The top, a deep blue, is made from scraps of Christmas dresses my sisters and I had twenty years ago. The bottom, a silky white, is made from scraps from Aunt Grace’s wedding dress. A silver band completes the outfit and gives it the sparkle that is rarely absent from any of Emry’s outfits. Both dresses are very cute!

Sparkly red!

The dress Grandma made.

Hugging her brother.

And, just because, our handsome little man in his Christmas red sweater.





No comments:

Post a Comment