Tuesday, September 13, 2011

God's Blessings

Have you ever set back and asked God why in the world He blesses you? I have. Lots of times...and probably not as often as I should. For I certainly have many blessings from my gracious Heavenly Father that I take for granted every single day. Like good health, and a roof over my head, and a good job, and a/c for these ridiculously hot Texas days. But it seems God ever has to bless me extra-specially for me to realize all the wonderful things He has given me.

Yesterday I received a surprise gift in the mail. Totally unexpected from a source I would have never imagined. On Sunday, I got to make paper airplanes with two kids at church who thought I was pretty cool on account of that. This morning when our nurses had a meeting, the on-call nurse brought in her adorable 9-month old and I got to play with little Shasta for a while. (Funny how even the exhausting game of pick-up is fun when you haven't done it in forever!) I made a little extra money this week doing nothing but typing up five hand-written pages which took me all of a half hour. A friend of mine had her fifth child several days ago. And the other office manager treated me to Starbucks. So even though Monday was a bit chaotic, it's shaping up to be a pretty good week.

"Better than I deserve," a friend of mine often says whenever someone asks, "How you doing?" Which is the right answer any given the day of the week. For it is by the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed every single day. But as God's children, we're extra blessed. Not because of surprise gifts, or little children, or treats at Starbucks. We're extra blessed because we can look out the window and know Who has given us the blue sky, or the green (or brown) grass, and the colorful (even fading) flowers. When we receive extra gifts, we know Who the true Giver is. So we can be double grateful. And why not? For in a lot of ways, we're doubly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment