Thursday, September 22, 2011

I Will. I Will. I Will.

On Saturday I talked to my dear friend Allyson in New Hampshire, catching up on almost a month worth of news. She's back to being a homeschool mom (not that she wasn't over the summer as they studied marine biology, but the school year has officially started). This year Violet joins Caleb as a student. Little Laurel has adjusted to her new fall schedule very well. Silas just had a birthday, and Seth...well, there is ever something to say about Seth.

A few weeks ago, Seth got to try markers for the first time. At first, he did a very good job, but as soon as Allyson went into another room... Well, the markers were taken away and Kevin had a little talk with Seth about responsibility, and privileges, and earning trust. A talk we all know if we had wise and loving parents.

A week later, Kevin and Allyson agreed to try Seth with the markers once more. Again, Seth did very well...until Allyson stepped out of the room. The markers were again taken away and a little talk was given.

Hoping, as we all do, that the children under our care learn from their mistakes; Kevin and Allyson decided to give Seth markers one last time. For a while, he did very well. Allyson went into the living room to check on another of her children. When she returned, Seth had marker on himself, the table and the chair.

"Seth, what happened?" Allyson asked, as if she didn't know the answer for herself.

Seth looked up at her and burst into tears. "I'm sorry, Momma. I'm sorry, Momma. I'll earn your trust. I will, Momma. I'll earn your trust!"

The conclusion? Seth was given coloring pencils and told he could not have markers again until he is older. (And so he has asked almost every day for the last week if he is older yet!)

Of course, I was laughing at this story as Allyson told it. Of her five children, it would be Seth. But in the back of my mind, I was wondering: Are we like this with God? He gives us something. We blow it. He gently teaches us a lesson. We wait. We receive again. And blow it. How often have I messed up and cried, "I'm sorry, Lord, I'm sorry! I will earn Your trust. I will. I will."? But usually I need my markers taken away - and I know it.

And isn't it just like God to give me coloring pencils instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment